Wow, has this semester gone by fast! It feels as if we are just getting started, not wrapping everything up to come to a close! I have certainly had a lot of fun this semester working on this project. I must say, it has certainly opened my eyes and I have been able to learn an immense amount. I never really noticed highway markers before this project, and I am grateful for being able to be a part of such an awesome team of people to make this website a success! We have all worked really hard, and although each of us encountered a few bumps along the way, we were all able to pull together and make the deadlines.
When we originally made our contract in the beginning of the semester, Dr. McClurken even advised us that we may have been a bit “too ambitious” as far as the dates we decided on for completing our various milestones. As the project progressed, I think we all realized this was true. The deadline that each person in the group had a difficult time meeting 100% was the March 13 deadline of having all of our research completed. This obviously was too ambitious of a feat for us to accomplish, namely because about ¼ of our markers were so random and obscure that they were difficult to find any bit of outside research on them. After a joint collaboration, we were all able to find information on the remaining few markers that we needed.
As far as everything else went, Mike made the skeleton of our site including pulling some posts in and Sarah went through and categorized and tagged all of the posts, along with making a fabulous Google Map. Ryan went through each individual post for all of us and checked for spelling and grammatical issues, along with creating a timeline, making a Twitter account for us, and getting in touch with the UMW’s newspaper The Bullet for extra publicity. I took on the task of photographing every single marker that was erected, along with finding additional images for each post. I was responsible for every single picture that is featured on the website, including the header image on each page. Towards the end, I also helped out with the structuring and the background of the website. I utilized a few necessary plugins, such as the Facebook Like button and I made the Tag Cloud for the site (I just could not figure out how to put it on its own page, so Mike helped with that). I was also responsible for creating the finalized bibliography that would be posted up onto the site. For this, each person organized their own sources, Mike checked them for proper Turabian and then they were sent to me where I did a final check before I posted them onto the website. I also registered our website for Google Analytics, which is really interesting because it allows you to see an overview of who is visiting your site. As far as my contributions to the project and my individual deadlines, I feel as if I met each one accordingly.
This was a great opportunity for us to work together as a team and create a useful resource for people that will hopefully be used for years to come! Although I thoroughly enjoyed working on this project, I am happy to say that it is finished (minus any pending corrections and edits that need to be made). Everyone in the class has done a great job on their projects and I am really excited to see the finished products of everyone’s hard work this semester. Great job guys!